The electrical efficiency of a HoSt steam cycle is much higher than an ORC (Organic Rankine Cycle). The difference increases significantly for installations above 1 MWe. Up to 40% more electricity can be generated by a steam cycle due to:
- 30% higher cycle efficiency.
- Lower parasitic electrical consumption. The thermal oil pump of an ORC consumes up to 10% of the generated electricity.
- Higher boiler efficiency due to a lower flue gas flow in combination with a lower stack temperature.
- High pressure and temperature steam in combination with an efficient multi stage turbine and an optimized process integration.
- Low stack losses due to a low flue gas flow, achieved by an innovative combustion technology with a low oxygen surplus.
- Low parasitic energy consumption due to low pressure losses in the system.
Projects & more information
HoSt has already realised multiple biomass-fired combined heat and power plants in both the Netherlands and abroad. A complete overview of our projects is available here. Interested in what we can offer? Or interested in visiting one of our projects? For example the wood-fired bioenergy plant in Beetgum, the bio-CHP in Strijp or in Meerhoven? Or need more information? Contact us now.
Bioenergy plant Strijp supplies heat to the district heating net of Eindhoven. The plant burns wood chips and produces green electricity as well as heat.